Preoperative evaluation and perioperative care
- Screen for MSSA or MRSA carriage with a single nose swab culture (repeat if surgery delayed > 1 month)
- Carriers of MSSA or MRSA have staphylococcal load reduction performed in the week prior to surgery
- Preoperative urine cultures are NOT indicated
- Shower on day of surgery (normal soap)
- Apply non-rinse chlorhexidine 2% aqueous wipes to skin below the neck on day of surgery – at home or in hospital by nursing staff
- For other notes- see reference
Information sheets (HNE Health):
- Pre_Procedure_staphylococcal_load_reduction_-_Information_for_clinicans_V2 IPS-003-FACT-1.2
- Pre_Procedure_Staph._load_reduction_before_a_procedure_Patient_Information_V2 IPS-036-FACT-1.5
- Cleansing_your_skin_before_a_procedure_or_surgery_using_Chlorhexidine_wash_cloth Patient Information IPS-018-FACT-1.1
Surgical antibiotic prophylaxis
- For elective prosthetic joint surgery a single preoperative dose is now required (cefazolin IV). Redose for procedures lasting more than 4 hours.
- For other important notes- see reference
Full guideline will be added in the next iteration of this page (15/1/21).