Therapeutic Guidelines: Antibiotic (see note below)
TG: Antibiotic has recently been updated to Edition 15 in November 2014. This guideline is the central reference for HNE LHD prescribers.
HNELHD_CG_18_24_District_Infectious_Diseases_Management (released July 2018) specifies conditions where Infectious Diseases consultancy is recommended, local guidelines and resources and general expectations of antimicrobial prescribers.
- Restricted Antimicrobial Indications (Clinical Excellence Commission) – endorsed by HNE LHD. LINK restored July 2017.
- HNELHD_CG_14_35_Surgical_Antibiotic_Prophylaxis (updated 2014)
- JHH_0263_Short_course_antibiotic_intra_abdo_sepsis_adult 1.2 (revised Feb 2018)
- HNELHD_CG_14_20_Management_of_Staphylococcus_aureus_bloodstream infection
- HNELHD_CG_15_34_Adult_Community-acquired pneumonia management (Minor revision May 2016)
- JHH_0182_diabetic_foot_pathway (revised 2019)
- GNAH (HNELHD)_0446_Asplenia_hyposplenia_sepsis_Guideline (Sept 2015)
- HNELHD AQUM_Aminoglycoside_communique (2014)
- HNELHD Fact sheet- Improving-quinolone-and-cephalosporin-use (2012)
- HNELHD_CG_15_43_Antibotics_in_the_Treatment_of_Cystic_Fibrosis_Lung_Disease (2015)
These are links to current Hunter New England policy and guideline documents. Last update Feb 2017.
HNE Quality Use of Medicine mobile-enabled guidelines website – a quick way to access key antibiotic recommendations- please bookmark from your device.
Includes guidance on many different infection topics, including recurrent staphylcococcal infection, MRSA and other. Password protected (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access).
Aminoglycoside therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM)
For those patients receiving directed aminoglycoside treatment, then please obtain advice from the Hunter Drug Information Service (see also the communique above). The TDM request sheet is reflected here- Aminoglycoside monitoring fax request.
Blood culture surveillance (Pathology North)
List of potential contaminant organisms (HNELHD) NHSN potential contaminant species list augmented by Pathology North: for a positive culture (any principal source) with one of these species to be accorded significance, there has to be isolation of the same species in at least 2 sets of cultures collected within 1 calendar day.
CIAP access note
eTG is available on CIAP via the HNE Intranet. Off-site access to CIAP resources (including eTG) is available to registered users. To obtain a CIAP username and password, complete your registration from a HNELHD location. CIAP will email you with a validation link, after which your username and password can be used to access CIAP from non-HNELHD computers.